It’s important to obtain this decision right, because in the event that you don’t take the SAT/ACT essay now then again later opt to connect with universities that want it, you simply cannot make the SAT/ACT essay area by itself—you would have to retake the whole test. Also, some universities will elect to not consist of non-essay SAT/ACT administrations within their score that is“super of one’s tests.
Making your decision, in summary
Just take the essay if some of the after are real:
1. There clearly was a reasonable possibility that you may opt to affect universities that want the SAT/ACT essay, OR
2. There is certainly a reasonable possibility that you will definitely affect “reach” or “match” colleges that suggest the essay, OR
Much like countless choices into the testing/college admissions procedure, selecting whether or not to use the SAT/ACT essay depends in your university list.
-Check out this post for fundamental help with beginning your university list.
-When you are prepared to talk more about your university list, subscribe to North to My Future, your free college admissions strategy session.
-Finally, as you prepare for expert assistance with finalizing your university list, always check our premium college admissions out consulting programs.
3. You’ve got currently done fairly well (scores of 14+ out of 24 in the SAT or 7+ out of 12 regarding the ACT) 1 on a training essay that is SAT/ACT. How come we state this? If you’re currently fairly proficient (or better) in the SAT/ACT essay, it’ll be reasonably simple to boost your rating through the SAT/ACT prep you are currently intending to do. Our SAT/ACT Prep Class include essay prep at no extra cost (for SAT/ACT Individual Prep programs, you’ve got the choice to include 60 minutes of essay instruction), and essay prep takes a minimal time investment. For instance, within our ACT Prep Class, we invest about 1.5 hours of course time since the essay, and during the last 12 months, pupils whom took the essay enhanced their essay score the average of 1.8 points (in the 2-12 scale).
Because improving your essay score is reasonably simple then take the essay to showcase your skills for colleges that fall in the “essay recommend” camp if you are already proficient in writing, you may as well briefly prepare for and.
Need certainly to check always your essay abilities? Our practice that is free SAT ACT tests include an essay rating and rubric.
Give consideration to skipping the essay if every one of the after are real:
1. You realize with reasonable certainty you will never be deciding on a universities that want the essay that is SAT/ACT AND
2. You scored unhealthy (under 14 away from 24 regarding the SAT or under 7 away from 12 in the ACT) for a training SAT/ACT essay, showing maybe it’s harder to enhance your rating in to a competitive range. (Note: if you’re using the SAT/ACT Prep Class, where essay prep is roofed into the course, we recommend finishing essay prep anyhow to see where your rating falls by Practice Test 2.)
Great things about Taking the Essay
-The essay is a chance to show proficiency on paper. It is a simple way to offer your admissions profile a lift (albeit a little one), particularly when you’re currently proficient at writing, or if you would you like to display your skills on paper to simply help make up for reduced grades in English classes.
-Compared to your remaining portion of the SAT/ACT, essay writers get yourself ready for the essay usually calls for just a time that is small to produce significant enhancement (see just what we penned above).
-If you are taking the essay and attain a score that is reasonable you’ll not need to worry about the essay requirement/recommendation as you finalize your university list.
Downsides of Taking the Essay
-Taking the essay will need an extra 40-50 moments of energy on test time, plus, in the event that you prep with Frontier Tutoring, a couple of hours of devoted preparation time. Registering for the official SAT/ACT essay additionally costs a supplementary $14 – $17.
-It’s theoretically feasible that you might perform extremely defectively regarding the essay on test day. But, presuming you prepare in advance, this result is unlikely—generally, you need to expect to score in the range that is same your latest training test suggests. Also, it was recognized that the essay has questionable validity that is predictive so scoring somewhat below your target score regarding the essay is not likely to be materially harmful for admissions purposes. Eventually, you have got more to achieve than you need to lose by finding your way through and using the essay.
Main Point Here
If there’s a chance that is reasonable be applying to universities that want or suggest the SAT/ACT essay, go on and go on it. Like the majority of items that need to do with university admissions, this means the starting place for this choice is developing an initial college list—it’s as easy so that as complicated as that. The good thing is on your journey that we have plenty of resources to help you. Below is a directory of the resources we’ve discussed in this article to help you get started. As constantly, please go ahead and call us with questions regarding your own situation.
North to My Future (free university admissions session that is strategy
The Frontier 49 (GPA and SAT/ACT norms for admitted applicants at 49 popular universities)
Colleges That Need the SAT/ACT Essay
Record present at the time of September 6, 2018; verify all universities on your own list prior to making your choice
Soka University of America
U.S. Military Academy (West Point)
University of California (Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, l . a ., Merced, Riverside, North Park, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz)
University of Delaware
University of Miami
Colleges That Suggest the SAT/ACT Essay
Record present at the time of 6, 2018; verify all colleges on your list before making your decision september
Abilene Christian University
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
University of Massachusetts-Amherst
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
SUNY Stony Brook
1 they are the approximate average that is national for the SAT/ACT essay sections. Supply: CollegeBoard and ACT, Inc. 2017 National Reports. Even though it is perhaps not simple to ascertain essay that is median for admitted pupils (in comparison to determining median overall SAT/ACT scores for admitted students), particular schools (like the University of Ca system) do get this to information public. We do not recommend spending significant amount of time in calculating a precise target rating for the essay it self; the greater significant choice is whether or perhaps not or not to go on it, and if you should be using it, then planning adequately to accomplish a decent rating.